Professor and Undergraduate Advisor
Office: HRBB 402C
Ph.D. Computer Science, University of Washington, 1986
M.S. Computer Science, University of Oregon, 1978
B.A. Biology, Reed College, 1974
Digital libraries, hypertext systems and models, computer-human
interaction, electronic publishing
SELECTED RESEARCH SUPPORT
National Science Foundation, "Information Discovery and
Communication with Meta-Documents over the World Wide Web,"
TAMU Research Enhancement Programs: Interdisciplinary Program,
"Enabling Structured Use of Online Research Humanities Materials
Through Metadocuments," 2000-2001.
National Science Foundation, "ITR/IM+HCI: The Cervantes Project
Advances from Computer Science Research to Update and Enhance
Traditional Scholarship Practices," 2000-2003.
National Science Foundation, "Metadocuments as Communicative
Artifact to Enable Use of a Research Digital Library in
Undergraduate SMET Education," 2000-2002.
National Science Foundation, "Design and Evaluation of
Maintenance Tools for Distributed Digital Libraries,"
- Charles W. Crawford Service Award, 2008-2009
- ACM Distinguished Engineer, 2007
- TEES Fellow, Dwight Look College of Engineering, Texas A&M
- Donald R. Ray '68 Faculty Fellow, Dwight Look College of
Engineering, Texas A&M University, 1999-2000
- Professor, Department of Computer Science and Engineering,
Texas A&M University, 2001 - present
- Associate Professor, Department of Computer Science, Texas
A&M University, 1993-2001
- Director, Hypermedia Research Laboratory, Computer Science
Department Texas A&M University, 1995-present
- Co-director, Hypermedia Research Laboratory, Department of
Computer Science, Texas A&M University, 1993-1995
- Associate Director, TEES Center for the Study of Digital
- Assistant Professor, Computer Science Department University of
- Lecturer 1985-1986, University of Maryland Institute for
Advanced Computer Studies, 1987-1989, 1990-1993
PROFESSIONAL ACTIVITIES AND SERVICE
- Member of ACM and ASIS&T; Senior Member IEEE
- Chair, ACM SIGLINK, 1993-1997
- Member at large, ACM SIG Board, 1997-1998
- Member, ACM SIG Governing Board Executive Committee,
- United States Editor, Electronic Publishing: Origination,
Dissemination & Design, 1990-1998
- Editor-in-Chief, Journal of Digital Libraries, Springer,
- Selected Editorial boards: Electronic Publishing:
Origination, Dissemination & Design, 1987-1998;
Hypermedia, 1992-1994; The New Review of Hypermedia and
Multimedia: Applications and Research, since 1995; Journal
of Digital Information (JoDI), since 1996; ACM Journal on
Educational Resources in Computing (JERIC), since 2000.
- Program Chairman: EP'90, International Conference on Electronic
Publishing, Document Manipulation, and Typography, 1990; Annual
Symposium of the DC Area Chapter of the ACM, Advanced Information
Interfaces: Making Data Accessible," 1991; ACM Hypertext, 1993;
Digital Libraries, 1995; ACM Digital Libraries Conference,
- Proceedings Editor, ACM Hypertext 1991, San Antonio, TX
- Organizer, Principles of Document Processing Workshop, Wash.
- Proceedings Co-chair, ACM 1994, Conference on Computer
Supported Cooperative Work
- Conference Chairman, Digital Libraries, College Station, TX,
- Organizer, Dagstuhl Seminar on Document Processing, Germany,
- Co-chair, working group, "IR and DM in the WWW, Internet and
Wireless Era," 1999 NSF Information and Data Management
- Member, organizing committee, NSF Information and Data
Management Workshop, 2001
- Mentoring chair, ACM Hypertext 2001
- Tutorials co-chair, European Conference on Digital Libraries
2001 (ECDL 2001)
- Workshops Chair, ACM-IEEE Joint Conference on Digital Libraries
- Member of numerous conference program committees and reviewer
Neal Audenaert, Richard Furuta, Eduardo Urbina, Jie Deng, Carlos
Monroy, Rosy Saenz, Doris Careaga, "Integrating Diverse Research in
a Digital Library Focused on a Single Author," Research and
Advanced Technology for Digital Libraries: 9th European Conference,
ECDL 2005, Austria, September 2005; Lecture Notes in Computer
Science, LNCS 3652, Springer, pp. 151-161, 2005.
Pratik Dave, Paul Logasa Bogen, H Unmil Karadkar, Luis Francisco
Revilla, Richard Furuta, Frank Shipman, "Dynamically Growing
Hypertext Collections," Hypertext 2004 Proceedings of the
Fifteenth ACM Conference on Hypertext and Hypermedia, Santa
Cruz CA, August 9-13, pp. 171-180, 2004.
Francisco-Revilla, L., Shipman, F., Furuta, R., Karadkar, U.,
and Arora, A., "Perception of Content, Structure, and Presentation
Changes in Web-based Hypertext," Hypertext '01: Proceedings of
the Twelfth ACM Conference on Hypertext and Hypermedia, pp.
205-214, August 2001.
Furuta, R., Kalaspur, S., Kochumman, R., Urbina, E., and
Vivancos-Perez, R., "The Cervantes Project: Steps to a Customizable
and Interlinked On-line Electronic Varorium Edition Supporting
Scholarship," Research and Advanced Technology for Digital
Libraries: 5th European Conference, ECDL 2001, LNCS 2163,
Springer, pp. 71-82, September 2001.
Na, J-C., and Furuta, R. "Dynamic Documents: Authoring Browsing,
and Analysis Using a High-Level Petri Net-Based Hypermedia System,"
ACM Symposium on Document Engineering 2001, November
Shipman, F., Furuta, R., Brenner, D., Chung, C., and Hsieh, H.,
"Guided Paths through Web-Based Collections: Design, Experience and
Adaptations," Journal of the American Society of Information
Sciences (JASIS), 51(3), pp. 260-272, March 2000.
Stotts, P. David, Furuta, Richard, and Cabarrus, Cyrano Ruiz,
"Hyperdocuments as Automata: Verification of Trace-based Browsing
Properties by Model Checking," ACM Transactions on Information
Systems, vol. 16, no. 1, pp. 1-30, Jan. 1998.